Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD)
Meibomian gland dysfunction is a common eye condition that some people may not have heard of. Simply put, it is a blockage of the glands lining your eyelids that help make the oil layer of your tears.
Computer Vision Syndrome
Too much screen time can lead to eye and vision related problems like blurry vision, headaches and even neck pain. This condition is known as computer vision syndrome (or digital eye strain). When you stare at a screen you often blink less, so there may not be enough lubrication across the eyes. Contact lens wearers can experience computer vision syndrome too.
Sjögren's (“SHOW-grins”) Syndrome is a chronic autoimmune disease which occurs when the body’s white blood cells mistakenly attack moisture producing glands, such as those that make tears and saliva. This can cause a significant reduction in the quantity of the moisture these glands produce. Talk to your doctor if you think you have Sjögren's Syndrome and are experiencing Dry Eye, dry mouth, joint pain or fatigue.
Think you may have symptoms of Dry Eye?
Take a Systane® SELFIE to find out in less than 30 seconds.*
If your eyes feel discomfort waiting for the photo you may have symptoms of Dry Eye.
To begin visit systaneselfie.myalcon.com/au on your mobile.
*This selfie is not to be used for diagnostic purposes.
Always consult a doctor/eyecare specialist to determine if you may have Dry Eye.
ALWAYS READ THE LABEL AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS FOR USE.
All content on this website is for informational purposes only, always talk to your health professional regarding your eye health or medical conditions.
1. MayoClinic - Dry Eyes. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dry-eyes/symptoms-causes/syc-20371863
2. Better Health Channel - Dry eye. Available at: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/dry-eye#symptoms-of-dry-eye
3. Stapleton F et al. TFOS DEWS II Epidemiology Report. The Ocular Surface 2017; 15(3): 334-368
4. Vision Center - Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD). Available at: https://www.visioncenter.org/conditions/mgd/
5. American Optometric Association - Computer vision syndrome. Available at: https://www.aoa.org/healthy-eyes/eye-and-vision-conditions/computer-vision-syndrome?sso=y
6. Portello J et al. Blink Rate, Incomplete Blinks and Computer Vision Syndrome. Optom Vis Sci 2013; 90(5):482-487.
7. Tauste A et al. Effect of contact lens use on Computer Vision Syndrome. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt 2016;36(2): 112-119
8. Better Health Chanelle - Sjogren's Syndrome. Available at: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/sjogrens-syndrome
9. Better Health Channel - Eye Tests. Available at: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/eye-tests#bhc-content